We all have those moments when we feel like the sky is falling. I had one in December. Literally any and every thing seemed to be going wrong all at once. But still, there are a few things that can make me smile, no matter what, so I figured I'd share them for any and everyone who may be in a funk of their own. Maybe these will cheer you up or make you think of your own:
- Sex and The City: This show ALWAYS does it for me. No matter how many times I've watched it, and that's been A LOT of times. But seeing Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda on the screen is like seeing a set of old friends, and their interactions really remind me of my friends. Not that we're hot shot 30-something professionals living single in NYC, but they have a very genuine, real chemistry, honesty and arguments, but consistent love that reminds me of what I love about my real life friends. When I can't get Lola or Melly in person, I can get these four on the boob tube and tune out from the real life drama for a moment.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Do I really need to elaborate? This is not a bag of Chips a-hoy we're talking. Oh no. I'm talking pure unadulterated freshly baked chocolatey goodness from the oven. Oh so good and bad all at once, and if I'm sad, I couldn't care less about the calories involved.
- Jay Z Unplugged: Jay Z happens to be my favorite rapper, which is not up for debate. I don't have a favorite album of his because I can't choose, but if you've ever seen him live, you know he puts on a hell of a show and his personality shines. The Unplugged album is a live recording and it just gets me in my zone, plus who doesn't vibe with acoustic music, let alone hip hop? That album is a legendary live recording, don't argue with me about it.
- Dancing with my kids: My boys, especially Mino, are party animals, 24/7, so they never hesitate to dance it out with mama. Sometimes when you feel like crap, the best thing you can do is stop taking yourself so serious and shake your booty with two small party animals. It instantly puts a smile on my face EVERY SINGLE TIME. My mom used to do this too, and those memories still put a smile on my face!
- Splurging: If money isn't the issue that's already getting you down, buying something yourself is always a good way to pick up your mood in my book! I try to take good care of myself, so that I'm not giving out more than I put back (I wrote about that here) but if I'm feeling blue, retail therapy is an excellent way to forget my troubles. It doesn't even need to be something outrageous - maybe a coffee cake to go with my espresso. But there's a lot to be said for doing little things for YOU. As I like to say, Treat yo' self!
So if you're feeling down in the dumps, try one or two of these things. Or think about what would make you insanely, stupidly happy. It may not fix what's going wrong, but trouble doesn't last always and sometimes you have to learn to dance in the rain. When life gives you lemons and all that jazz.
Leave some of your favorite pick me ups in the comments section, I'd love to know what makes you guys smile!