Here come the holidays, and with them come loads of glorious makeup value sets to dazzle all of us makeup hoarders! Among them was this set of nine lipstick minis from Kat Von D's "Studded Kiss" line of lipsticks. This set includes 4 bold shades of red, three pops of color and two everyday shades according to Sephora's website. They also said these were "one swipe" pigmented lipsticks that would last 10 hours each. Check out my raw (no liner, one swipe, no manipulation of the product) swatches and I'll break the shades down one by one!
- Hexagram - This is a classic blood red lipstick with a matte finish. This one was pretty true to the product description. Pigmented, one swipe easy application with rich color that didn't budge after application. I give this one a 10/10.
- Countess - I didn't expect to like this shade as much as I did! This is a matte hot orange-red shade, which I usually steer wide and clear from! It applied easily and was true to color and just as bulletproof as the best of matte's in my collection. 10/10 for me.
- Wonderchilde - This is an iridescent lilac shade. I found that it wasn't as pigmented as I expected after trying Hexagram and Countess. If I weren't trying to give my readers the "real deal" I think I could definitely build up the color with a few layers of application, but it wasn't a win for me on the first try. It's a beautiful shade though! 7/10 for lack of pigment
- Sexer - What girl doesn't like a good pink lipstick? This is described on the web as an "iridescent fluorescent pink," but I found it to be a more fuchsia shade, much less iridescent and more pigmented than Wonderchilde. It was still a little less opaque than I wanted so I give it a 9/10.
- Bachelorette - I fell in love with this shade of red before I even tried it on! It's gorgeous even in the tube. It's a red-fuschia with a matte finish and it's too rich for words. One swipe is more than enough and it's the perfect chord between an everyday pink and an everyday red. 10/10.
- Lovecraft - I'm huge on the nude lip and there's nothing I love more than a peachy mauve shade. That's exactly what you get with Lovecraft. It's also got a matte finish (notice I love mattes?) and it didn't require any manipulation to get the full color - which can be an issue with lighter shades! 10/10.
- Motorhead - I wanted to love this shade, I really did! It's everything I love, especially in the fall, at first glance. This is supposed to be a "matte black cherry," but it definitely applied slicker than a matte and the color payoff was uneven. I know a few tricks that would even the pigment out and make the lipstick behave, but that wasn't the point of these swatches. I give the color a 9 but overall, this lipstick is a 4/10 for me. No bueno!
- Agatha - This is a gorgeous peachy nude, but a little light for my skin tone. I would definitely need a liner and a little gloss to die it down, but it was a breeze to apply and is also a matte finish so it has lasting power. 8/10.
- Adora - This is a metallic golden red that goes right in all the places I think Wonderchilde went wrong. It's shimmery, in that muted "not too much" way, and vibrant. It has a smooth creamy application and doesn't sacrifice it's packed on color for the shimmery finish. 10/10
Altogether for $39 these 9 lipsticks are more than worth the price, especially if you're new to Kat Von D's cosmetics. I will definitely be getting my 10/10's in full size! These are available now at Sephora.com and Sephora locations! Check them out and let me know what your favorites are!